Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Daily Confusions

I need to learn which way to look when I cross the street...and stop wondering why there's no one in the "drivers" seat! However, the toilets don't flush backwards so much as straight up...

Also, I was relieved to learn that the manual bearing the title "You Can Make It In Mozambique" distributed to us today was NOT in fact our medical handbook, but a friendly cookbook filled with African recipes.

Finally, our medical debriefing today put the fear of God into me. Between the parasites that bore into your heels and form black egg sacks, the parasites that enter your skin through almost any fresh water source and can cause bladder cancer, and the red welts under your eye that can secrete larvae when squeezed, I may never leave my house. Or the safety of my Mosquito net.

Our office is bright pink and overlooks the ocean! And I have to fly to my site tomorrow. FLY. Or rather, fly to a large city and be driven about 6 hours.

I am truly floored and exhilarated and can't wait to see what's next!

3 comments:

LezleJ said...

As usual your blog made me smile then laugh...thanks Babygirl, Ma

diploMatt said...

Ha! I'm glad I have your writing to look forward to again!

renata said...

Yikes, stay away from the parasites! I thought the DR was bad! Cuidate mucho.