Monday, July 21, 2008

El Mundo Pequeño (written 7.18.08)

This really is a small country. So small that I randomly met the father of some friends from the next community over, a craft vendor, on a beach an hour and a half away from here today. (Upon learning where I live, he pulled a picture from his wallet to show me his daughter. My response: Oh yea, I know her. She lent me a coffee thermos the other day.) So small that those who live here know the exact unmarked spots at which they can stand along the side of the road to be picked up by a bus. Since when was the 3rd mango tree past the river on the left the equivalent of a public transport stop? The size of the island comes in handy for me, however, as I rather enjoy the privilege of being a weekend tourist from time to time. Just hop on a guagua…and you're there! When you can get from coast to coast for under $10, the possibilities are endless.

I received a reward in the form of a pink-shirted, bouncy, smiling 18 year old Dominican young lady today. She had just returned from a week-long girls' camp put on by Peace Corps, which I couldn't attend as I arrived after the planning had already gotten underfoot, but for which I managed to get her a spot. She's very family and church oriented, and had us both a bit worried what it would be like for her to attend a camp where the themes ranged from Sexual Education to Women in Business, touching on Race Relations along the way. But despite her conservative background, her winning attitude and outgoing nature were clearly enough to make it a wonderful experience. As she bounced through the gate in front of my house, wearing her new pink camp T-shirt, and launched into stories about the week, I felt the immense satisfaction of touching a single life in a way that makes a positive impact. I wish I could have gone, but there's always next year. I'm here to be a facilitator, and facilitate I shall!

No comments: