Saturday, December 13, 2008

Get Fit (written 12.12.08)

The lifestyle that Peace Corps volunteers lead, by default, has great potential to make us healthier. That is to say, there are lots of things we do (or don't do) differently than we have in the past out of current necessity or practicality. A few examples:

- I now go jogging, admittedly not really because it's good for me, but mostly because it reduces the amount of shock I experience when partaking in my ice cold shower. Did they have to place my water tank in the most sinisterly shady area of the property?

- We don't snack nearly as much (a ripe banana is a treat), and consume relatively little processed foods. Favorites such as macaroni and cheese and Dr. Pepper are merely a pipedream.

- Further, even if our favorite American foods and beverages were available in our sites, we couldn't afford them!

So that's why I'm skinny. Don't make fun of me when I come home. Just remember, I can get a tan in winter, and you can't.

1 comment:

enkidu said...

Throughout the Summer and Fall I have enjoyed following your exploits. But now, nothing for six weeks. Are you still at it? Did the snakes get you. Please let us anxious readers hear something.