Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Beautiful Black Friday


After an arduous 3 day journey (with a stop off in Nampula for an eclectic Thanksgiving meal), made less so by a ride from a friend, we are finally at Chocas, um fim do mundo – an end of the world.

The cutest thatch-roofed bamboo hut, complete with outdoor shower for post-ocean rinsing, a late afternoon swim in the calm blue Indian Ocean (she’s definitely a woman, perhaps a mother even), a dinner of fresh clams and cold beer, then music back at the hut, swaying barefoot in the sand. A sandy scorpion joins in the dance, raises his tail, but I believe he means no harm. After, a moonlit walk on an expansive white sand beach. The tide is out, so we run around like children, and when I fall asleep in the sand, my friends line my spine with seashells. They tinkle to the ground when I rise. This is the best Black Friday ever.

And this morning, the sound of the ocean and a billowing white mosquito net. Sitting on the back porch under the coconut trees, hammock gently swaying to and fro. I could stay at Chocas for many lifetimes.

1 comment:

Joel said...

perhaps you already have Mica.