Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Thanksgiving List

I am thankful for…

•The Indian Ocean
•Suncreen
•NGO friends with real jobs and cars, who take pity on volunteers, low men on the totem pole
•Frango Zambeziano (the grilled chicken for which the province in which I live is famous)
•Grilled grouper
•My very capable tailor
•Internet on my phone (and therefore, constant contact with supportive friends and family)
•Packages sent from home
•African music
•Rain

There is so much more I have to be thankful for this year, as every year, but these are a few of the things at the front of my mind. Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Brad and Amber said...

Mica, I have been catching up on several months of your blog (where have I been??). It is wonderful and fascinating. Thanks for sharing your wit, insight, and honesty. It sounds really disheartening at times. I hope you're getting the support you need. By the way, I recently was talking to my professor from study abroad about what I wanted to do, and he suggested "development anthropology." I had never heard of this combo and was very excited, and just wanted to share with you because of some of your posts. Apparently there are actually programs that do this, and it is more specifically like what you are talking about than activist anthropology. Maybe you already knew, but just wanted to share! Also, let me know if there is something/funds I can send for the maternity clinic, or anything for you personally. Much love to you--you are awesome.