Friday, February 18, 2011

The Cookie Monster

In order to get the kids participating more openly, I sometimes bring cookies with me to use as incentives. Answer a question, get a treat. But what really happens is after we finish with all the questions, I end up giving out cookies anyway to the ones who were too shy or young to respond. I mean damn. They’re hungry. Am I really going to tuck half a pack of cookies back into my Aldo purse? (Which I bought for 40$ in Charleston…jerk.) Nor am I going to keep giving cookie after cookie to the few kids who speak up. Even when I do, they end up giving them to the others who haven’t gotten any, and I have to bite my lip not to smile or burst into tears.

1 comment:

Joel said...

Good idea with the cookies. I don't know if this will work, but I often work with kids that don't want to participate, so I try to make my presentations non-verbal or group verbal participation, por ejemplo. "everyone raise your hands, now from here to here put your hands down, that is 1/3 of you!" to demonstate fraction or percentages. - active listening and participating.
"everyone, breath through you nose," group participation
or "everyone, which is worse, to eat healthy food, get a good night rest, and exercise or use crack cocaine?" or something like that, maybe even simpler responses yes, no, good, bad. group verbal. then you can give the cookies to everyone at the end!