Monday, February 14, 2011

Some Things I Love About Africa

That I can go over to my neighbor’s house wearing a worn out camisole, a skirt I got at a used clothing store, and a cheap cardigan that doesn’t even match, and be told by the young girls “ooh! You look pretty!”

The sounds – of crickets at night, neighbor kids squealing, pasada music from Cape Verde pumping from the stereos, local dialects. NOT the smells – the people a curry-sweat conglomerate, the streets a raw sewage nightmare…

That despite the hardships, it’s good for my body. A diet consisting mostly of natural foods and daily exercise.

Women and their babies. Swathed tightly in colorful fabrics, so not a moment of workable daylight will be wasted.

Tailors on every corner. Everyone sews, and there is an abundance of material everywhere you turn.

Matapa. Green leaves+garlic+coconut+peanuts boiled into mush = heaven on earth, and nutritious to boot. And if you’re fancy in the city, toss in some shrimp!

I hear there are big animals on this continent. Maybe I’ll see some one day…

When you walk in a house, you take off your shoes. When you sit down at the table, you wash your hands in a basin. What’s simple is true. And cleanliness is next to godliness.

If a child is to wear one and only one article of clothing, it is a t-shirt. Not underwear.

2 comments:

Joel said...

Some things I find interesting about Africa...
good for your body - I could probably use that
big animals - I have been called a big animal on numerous occasion
cleanliness - good
one article of clothing - I choose oversized rope

Joel said...

I meant robe. Although oversized rope is always nice to have.