Saturday, March 29, 2008

Another Town, Another Family

Today we ventured into Santiago to see the sites and use the internet, since our town (about 45 minutes away) has no phones, internet, or even a post office. The city is in an uproar for the upcoming election in May, and it's interesting, if tiresome, to see the Dominicans campaigning to reelect their beloved Leonel Fernandez.

Our town is beautiful, on a mountainside and surrounded by tropical plantlife. My new family is so kind and patient (and much calmer than my rambunctious Santo Domingo family!) I have 3 sisters, ages 18, 15, and 4, and they took to me right away, introducing me to all my friends and helping me with my diagnostic, in which I have to do a variety of tasks such as family trees and interviews, in order to get to know the area better. It's kind of a practice run for the real diagnostic I'll be doing when I get to my permanent site.

My house is simple, but clean. There's no running water in the house, and only one aquaduct that serves several communities, so the water runs from 8-10 am from a spicket outside the house. Every morning, my host mother fills up as many buckets as she can to use during the day. (Our drinking water is bought.) My room is cozy, with barely enough space for the bed, so arranging my life has been a challenge. There's also no door, but a curtain, and the 4 year old has taken to busting in whenever she pleases. Good thing I have only sisters! :)

Training is going well. Yesterday we made compost piles, and next week I'll be presenting with a partner on eco-tourism. There's a huge emphasis on non-formal education in the Peace Corps, so almost all our activities are hands-on. Spanish is coming along well, although I often find that I still don't have the vocabulary that I would like. I'm sure it will come.

Tomorrow we're going to a cock-fight. I'm a little hesitant, but the fights are such a big part of life here, and I feel that I should partake, if only for a few minutes, in what is an important aspect of Dominican culture. Speaking of chickens, my host mom bought a live "gallina" (chicken) off a passing "guagua" (transport vehicle) today. It sat, surprisingly subdued, in the corner while I ate breakfast, and then when I left the room, she killed it noisingly, jokingly soliciting her dog's help in the act. I've been eating whatever they put in front of me, including meat, but I must admit that this afternoon was a bit difficult...

I'm not sure when I'll get back to the internet, but know that I'm safe and happy and adjusting to my life in el campo. Sending letters is actually really difficult here, but I'll try to stay in cyber-contact when I can.

1 comment:

Fred said...

Mica, I think this is great! This will be a lifelong experience for you and I am glad you are sharing it with us. Keep the messages coming but we need photos. Big Fred (alias BaBa)