Monday, March 10, 2008

The things I learned in class...

Of all the days of training I´ve had so far, this seems an interesting one on which to start my blog, for today we learned about tarantulas that can jump 6 feet and a fatal disease one can contract from mouse pee. That tupperware I brought is looking better all the time. And hey! What a great excuse to have a cat!

So I´m adjusting to life with my host family, including the cold shower from a bucket I take once a day, the rapid-fire Spanish, and the motorcycles with no mufflers that pass directly by my house at all hours of the day.

I am now confident that it was the best idea not to bring a guitar, because I bought one downtown 2 days ago at an amazing price. She´s glossy and blue and I think I´ll call her Elle. Beware to all my musician friends - I´ll be a force to reckon with upon my return!

I´m leaving Santo Domingo and headed to the mountains next weekend to visit a couple of Peace Corps Volunteers who are working with Cacao plantations (the chocolate plant!) and am looking forward to a much needed break from the dusty city.

It´s difficult to upload photos here, but I´ll get one or two up as soon as I can!

No comments: