Sunday, August 3, 2008

American Dinner (written 8.1.08)

Tonight I had my second exhausting but rewarding literacy class. There's a family that lives near me in a dirt-floored, small house with 5 kids ranging from ages 9-23, none of whom can read. They all failed school this year and will be held back a grade, but they're not getting any of the individual attention they need to move forward. How can they be expected to pass if they don't know the alphabet? Dominican "chisme" (gossip) is an ugly thing, and I've already been told by more than one person that these kids have trouble with information "entering their minds". This, clearly, makes me even more determined to help in whatever way I can, to show the community that they're NOT stupid, and that everyone deserves a chance.

After traveling to the "city" today (the closest community with a paved road and pharmacy), I returned with a laminated copy of the alphabet which I presented to a family of eager students. When I arrived at their house, they were all working together to build a pig sty, but immediately sat down with me, mom and dad included, to practice letters, common sounds, and small words (I actually have no idea how to teach someone to read, so I'm learning right along with them). Mom pretended to be sitting in as disciplinarian, but soon indirectly revealed to me that she doesn't know how to read either. I can already tell this is going to be a difficult, tiring, but extremely satisfying endeavor. I need to get some beginner Spanish books ASAP!

My host dad's mother, who is surprisingly lucid at her age, is currently visiting from the capital. She came bearing gifts (a common custom to which I've quickly learned to adhere), one of which couldn't have been more American if you slapped it with the Star-Spangled Banner and wrapped it in the ole red white and blue: an oversized can of chunky beef stew. My host parents were puzzled, my host mom actually thinking it was a can of juice at first, and then thrilled when they realized it was an American food item, with an English label, that I would be familiar with. My host dad shared it with me for dinner tonight, amidst questions like "so how does it not go bad in the can?" I finished off the meal with a mental note of yet another item that I can add to the list of things to bring as a gift from the city; of things that thrill them and that I would never think twice about.

1 comment:

Claudette said...

Hey, I just found your blog! I love your writing style! This was a great post, you're still knowing the difference between the stateside lifestyle and the dominican lifestyle... so many things your point out I hardly notice anymore. thanks for a great post, actually they're all good!