Monday, August 25, 2008

Back to the Campo…which is the exact opposite of Back to the Future (written 8.21.08)

Upon my return yesterday from a somewhat extended leave (necessitated by training and meetings, elongated by a desire to spend time with friends), I was met by the distinct feeling that someone has been sleeping in my bed.

My host parents have had lots of visitors in the past week (including their grandson who has doubled in size since the last time I saw him, which makes a strange kind of sense since he has also doubled in age: from 2 months to 4 months), and as my sheets were tucked in very differently than when I left, I have no choice but to believe someone slept there. I hope they at least washed the sheets afterward, but I kinda doubt it…

Coming home this evening (after a long but productive first day back) when the electricity had been out almost the entire day meant coming home to no running water as well, since the loss of power kills our aqueduct. In desperate need of a shower (bucket bath, whatever), there I went, out the back door to fill a bucket with water from our plastic storage bins. Our bathing buckets are heavy once filled with storage water, which is less than crystal clean - the lid doesn't quite keep out all the bugs and dirt. Without electricity, however, I can't really see what I'm doing in the bathroom, let alone what might be lurking in my bathwater. So I clumsily lugged the bucket into the bathroom, ignored the creepy crawlies I had seen floating by light of headlamp, and enjoyed the cool water.

Things always work out in this country somehow…

No comments: