Friday, September 26, 2008

Anaconda (written 9.21.08)

So last night I discovered the best reason to date for diligently tucking-in one's mosquito net. It was at least 8 feet long, as thick as my arm, and hung suspended in the dark about 7 inches from my pillow when discovered. Never in my life have I seen a snake so big that wasn't on the other side of 4 inches of glass - mosquito netting, somehow, does not provide the same feeling of security. I had just returned from the bathroom (outdoor) headlamp ablaze, and before lying down, I saw a dark contrast against the white wall at the head of my bed in the periphery of the lamplight. My first thought was, wow, that's quite the large termite tunnel, and it just popped up out of nowhere! My second thought was, um, do I really want to shine the light full on to find out what this is? After doing so, I learned the true meaning of frozen with fear. Sitting curled into a ball in the middle of my bed, I stared at the long, slimy black body for what must have been 5 minutes before gathering the courage to slither (ha) out of my mosquito net, gather up my cat, and turn on the overhead light (if there was EVER an appropriate time for electricity…)

Standing in my doorway, watching the snake move about along the wall and head of my bed, I was refrozen to my place, hands to mouth, begging it in the most pathetic little squeaky voice to please leave. It was past midnight, and I knew if I went to my host parents' house in fear in the middle of the night (which I was more than tempted to do), I would NEVER be allowed to leave again. A day doesn't go by when someone doesn't warn me against living alone, and this would absolutely be the nail in the coffin. Imagine an entire community of well intended meddlers saying "I told you so" for two years. As petrified as I was (couldn't even make myself get the camera and take a picture), I elected to tough it out.

The snake soon enough decided my room was not the place it wanted to be, and slowly slithered back up to the rafters, where I could see it lying still above my bed. I'm sure it was harmless, a corn-snake or blacksnake that probably eats rats, but I have a cat for that, who is significantly cuter. Needless to say, I had a difficult time sleeping, and turned on my headlamp to check the perimeter at least 10 times. Although I'm dead tired today, I'm foregoing a nap in the hopes that I will sleep better tonight.

It would have been different if the snake had shown itself during the day, in the rafters, on the porch…something a little less aggressive. As it was, I found myself face to face, in the middle of the night, with a slithering black body so close I could see all the intricacies of its pattern. I told my host dad about this today (soliciting a promise that he would not tell my host mom). His response, eyes as big as saucers…

Wow, you're brave! You need to get a machete…

Me: I'm not going to attack an 8 foot long snake with a machete!

Him: (puzzled) Because you're scared or because you don't want to hurt it?

Me: I guess both. Mostly because I think I would miss, and then…

Can't wait to talk to someone from home on the phone and solicit the terror and pity that I feel this experience deserves! I've decided if it comes back, there's nothing to do but give it a silly name for comic relief. I'll say, aloud to no one, with a sigh of exasperation, "Oh Maude. It's you again." Maybe that will help.

1 comment:

Brad and Amber said...

Oh MY god, Mica. I can handle a lot of creepy crawlies but THAT I could not handle. I am so glad you're ok and unbitten! Your conversation with host dad cracked me up hahaha. I would also miss. I wonder if there is any such thing as snake repellent??