Friday, September 26, 2008

A lack of light and firemen (written 9.13.08)

I like having time to myself in my new house, but it's infinitely more enjoyable at night when there is electricity. Otherwise, I wander around with my wind-up flashlight or headlamp that only works in fits and spurts. When there's electricity, I can sit on the porch and read, write blog entries, make bracelets, or chat with friends. When there's no electricity, my activities are limited to talking to my cat, who's afraid of the headlamp, so that doesn't work out too well.

Speaking of little Chinola, he pulled a fast one on me tonight. After several days of letting him outside for only a few minutes at a time, we've established a strong enough relationship that I'm confident he won't run away. So when there was tonight electricity, I let him out, and although he didn't run away, he did run up a tree. And get stuck. Oops. After listening to him cry long enough that I was sure he wasn't coming down unassisted, I donned my headlamp (the porch light only reaches so far) and climbed an orange tree to pull the feline fool to safety by the scruff of his neck. Hair thicker by several cobwebs and still more leaves, I shut him in the house and did not feel the least bit guilty when he cried to be let out again.

Dummy.

No comments: