Thursday, November 27, 2008

How's the Weather? (written 11.20.08)

In my nearly 9 months in this country, I cannot recall a single time that I've heard a Dominican voice contentment regarding the weather. And we talk a lot about the weather. Usually it's unbearably hot, but as we're entering "winter", and it's been a rainy week, it's been atypically chilly, if there is such a thing in the tropics. It's been nice to actually need the beautiful afghan my cousin made me at night, but as for the rest of my community…I'm not sure they'll make it out alive. Everyone has donned their beanies and jean jackets, looking like something straight out of Grease, and the first thing mentioned in any conversation I've had over the past few days is how cold it is. Yesterday, as I sat in outdoor conversation with a t-shirted young man, he was visibly shivering!

We're talking, bottoms, 55 degrees here, at 4 AM when it's at its coldest. Maybe it's ME that won't make it out alive, as I'll be in TN for Christmas where I'm sure 55 is the high… Guess I'll just have to stay indoors and eat a lot and take a lot of hot showers. Darn.

1 comment:

Tim said...

People from Michigan are the same way, always whining about how hot or cold it is. Is there anything more pointless to complain about? I mean, who do you complain to?

I hope the beach was fun.