Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Why Peace Corps is Hard (written 10.30.08)

I live in a lawless land. This was further proven to me by a recent situation regarding my house, about which I must laugh and blog to keep from crying and screaming.

I moved into my lucky find about 2 months ago before the owners had signed the promised contract, feeling a little nervous, but very Dominican about the whole thing. I constantly have to remind myself not to be so American about certain things, and I thought maybe this was one of them. Wrong. Now, the owners have decided they want the house back (although it's stood empty and abandoned for over two years) just when I've gotten it clean and nesty. Fishy, if you ask me. But after exercising all my options, including recruiting the help of my Dominican male Peace Corps boss, there's nothing left but to find another place to live. Easier said than done. My boss was at least able to extract from the rich, city dwelling owner (whom I've never met in person but who has been nasty, to say the least, to me on the phone) an agreement that I won't be made to leave until another house is available, and who knows how long that will be. Plus, this house was furnished, so I have to start saving my pesos for basic things: a small gas stove, a table, chairs.

All of this, plus the fact that the hardware store refused to lend me materials until my grant comes in, has basically made my decision for me: now is not the right time for my stove practice. I was relieved to find out that, so far, those I've told in my community do not hate me for this. In fact, they seem more at peace than I, making comments such as "God will send the money in time". If I breathe deeply, and once again try to leave out some of my American expectations, I'm sure I'll be fine. Plus, I have very supportive Peace Corps friends. News travels fast between 200 volunteers on an island the size of 2 New Hampshires, so I've already received several encouraging messages.

On the bright side, my next house cannot possibly have as many snakes. (Up to 3 now…)

1 comment:

Brad and Amber said...

I'm sorry to hear about the bullshit. I am sure they intentionally asked for it back because you put work into it, which would piss anyone off!! I guess you could just write it off as another charitable contribution. Just remember, you are doing and experiencing amazing things. Even people mistreating you will serve you somehow in the future. I hope the snakes are leaving you alone! Much love!