Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Shampoo Thief (written 11.11.08)

I believe I mentioned in my last blog that I felt no bitterness toward my community due to my house situation (clearly I'm too lazy to check my last entry to verify this) and that although I felt taken advantage of, I didn't feel that way toward my neighbors. Last Thursday night changed that.

Michal and I arrived late at my site, took showers by candlelight (note: my bathroom is separate from my house, but only about 3 feet away, and the electricity was out) and cooked dinner at almost midnight. Before we were sitting down to eat, I went out to the bathroom to blow out the candle we had left while bathing; everything seemed normal. After dinner, I went out to the restroom again and what to my wondering eyes should appear? NOT my shampoo, conditioner, facewash, bodywash, and baby wipes! Someone had managed to get into the bathroom in the dark and take all of these things without making a noise. They left my towels and toothbrush, which led me to believe it was a kid or at least someone I know, but NO ONE I know walks around at midnight. It's just not done here. We went to bed a bit weirded out, and the next morning I noticed that my gate was still closed, in the exact position I had left it (it's kinda flimsy, so you can tell when it's been opened and closed).

Obviously, this is a mild offense and no real harm was done; the real issue is my comfort, because I am made very uneasy by the idea that someone is creeping around my house at night, arriving through the woods, most likely expecting that I am asleep. That is NOT ok.

Like a good PCV, I called our safety and security coordinator to tell her the news, being sure to mention that I will be moving soon to a house that includes an INDOOR bathroom. I'm less upset about this move every day, and I may even get money from Peace Corps to replace my bathroom potions!

No comments: