Monday, September 20, 2010

Move-In Day

In spite of the many complex health, education, and socio-political issues that plague Africa, Mozambique actually has got its act together in many unexpected ways. Cell phone coverage is essentially ubiquitous (unfortunately, though, only if you bite the bullet and subscribe to the South African company Vodacom instead of the Mozambican MCell). Electricity is consistent, as opposed to a few spotty hours a day. And water is piped into the cities from large tanks in the rural areas, filled from rivers and lakes, where it is treated and supposedly becomes potable. I think I’ll filter mine anyway. And I found out today that you can buy most of your basic necessities at local markets even in rural areas like Morrumbala, although you must be prepared for them to spontaneously run out of even the most essential items, like eggs.

After waking naturally at 6am (if thousands of tweeting sparrows and a very active and noisy camp staff count as natural), I immediately went about the task of finding food. There is a kitchen at the camp, sort of, but the cook who would normally help me orient myself to the charcoal stove called in sick…with malaria. They say he’ll be back by Monday. I’m momentarily shocked, then sarcastically think “Likely story, on a Friday”. This flippant way of treating a serious tropical illness pervades the country – many World Vision employees have had malaria many times, don’t take any preventive medications or even require their children to take them, and can provide detailed information of which brands of remedies work and which are worthless.

Anyway, with no cook, I decided to head to the market, accompanied by a driver (which I didn’t protest since it was my first time out of the compound – there really is a different weight associated with being a white woman here than in the DR, and this site is far larger than my last community) and stock up on some basic no-cook edibles (powdered milk, bread, veggies, tuna) as well as rice, pasta, and other cook-ables that I eventually hope to use when I learn my way around the place. I envision that peanut butter will play a crucial role throughout my near future. The rest of the afternoon was spent organizing my belongings in my new room, complete with bed, armoire, two tables, 4 chairs, curtains and tapestries. It’s really a nice little space, and even though I may be moving out eventually, I unpacked everything last thing with a sigh of relief after a month of living out of my backpack. This afternoon will be a get-to-know-you walk around town, accompanied by another World Vision volunteer, and then visiting the other Peace Corps volunteer who lives in town. World Vision staff is currently scrambling to turn in annual reports and inventory lists, so it seems for the time being, I am free to wander and get to know my new home.

No comments: